The mission of the Entrepreneurship Academy is to enhance the undergraduate experience at UB and harness students’ creative and innovative spirit. This Academy helps prepare undergraduate students for future business development and helps students understand the process that goes into taking an idea and turning it into a product.
The goal of the Entrepreneurship Academy is to allow students to build an understanding of what it means to be an entrepreneur through experiential learning and interaction with leaders in creativity and industry. Under the direction of Yong Li, Associate Professor in Operations Management and Strategy, School of Management students will:
- Link coursework to practical, concrete examples of entrepreneurial success, including biographies and case studies of local, regional, national and global leaders.
- Analyze different styles of entrepreneurship, including social entrepreneurship.
- Develop interpersonal skills, such as leadership, communication, and networking.
- Embrace opportunities to work with entrepreneurs in the Buffalo and Western New York region in emerging sectors and growth areas.
- Have the opportunity to develop a entrepreneurial plan for use in competitions.
Links and Resources
- The Entrepreneurship Academy collaborates with UB’s Career Services office to provide students with internship and mentoring opportunities, and understand the post-college opportunities available to student entrepreneurs.
- UB’s Center for Entrepreneurial Leadership promotes business growth through leadership development and experiential learning and is a central resource that helps develop businesses in Western New York.
- UB’s Offices of Science, Technology Transfer, and Economic Outreach is the home of UB’s technology incubator, and the interface between the inventive work of laboratory research and the applied commercial development that brings the benefits of that work to market.
- The Western New York Prosperity Scholarship is awarded annually entrepreneurial and civic-minded students at the University at Buffalo.
- The University at Buffalo libraries have dedicated resources to help students obtain a foundational knowledge of entrepreneurship, including sample business plans, links to trade organizations, and a wealth of other resources.